Generally, smudging is the result of too moisture being trapped in the tattoo or movement of the adhesive while the tattoo is developing.
✅ The most important things to remember are:
- Use the Primer Wipe before applying your tattoo to make sure your skin is exfoliated and prepped for application.
- Moisturize the area 1-2 hours before application. Also moisturize 8 hours post-application and keep the area moisturized in the following days. It's best to use a water-based moisturizer.
- Lay your tattoo flat against the skin during application - don't reposition or reapply it.
- Once the tattoo is applied, avoid excessive movement and heat.
- While the tattoo is developing, wear short sleeves to avoid any heat/sweat. During sleep the first night after application, wear loose fitting clothes over the tattooed area. Keep an eye on the tattoo at around 45-50 minutes. If you see the tattoo has already switched to a darker color, you can consider taking the applicator off.
Our tips page is packed with information that will help you protect your tattoo from smudging!